The educational system in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) can be broadly defined in four parts: Pre-school education, primary education, secondary education and higher education.
I. Pre-School Education: Pre-school education is provided by kindergardens and creches for the children between the ages of 3 and 6
II. Primary Education: Primary education is provided at two stages. First stage (elementary school) is designed for the 7-12 age-group which lasts for five years and is free and compulsory. Second stage (secondary-junior) lasting for three years is intended for the 13-15 age group which is again free and compulsory.
III. Secondary Education: This is designed for the 16-18 age group and has a three year programme of instruction. It is provided by high schools known as Lyceés and vocational schools. The technical and vocational schools are comprised of commercial lyceés, technical training schools, agricultural vocational school, the school of nursing and mid-wifery, and the tourism and hotel management and catering school.
IV. Higher Education: In Northern Cyprus, the university education (Bachelors level) normally lasts 4 years (excepts subjects such as pharmacy, dentistry and medicine) and is provided by the following eight institutions:
- Cyprus International University
- Eastern Mediterranean University
- European University of Lefke
- Girne American University
- Istanbul Technical University – North Cyprus Campus
- Near East University
- Middle East Technical University – North Cyprus Campus
- University of Mediterranean Karpasia
- Girne University
- Kıbrıs Sosyal Bilimler Üniversitesi
- British University of Nicosia
- Cyprus American University